Kale is king, “keen-wa” (quinoa) is just fun to say, and I’m a sucker for sundried tomatoes. So the idea for this recipe I took from a pasta salad; however, it lacked three said ingredients. What’s up with that?
Trust me; this blend of flavors will suit you well. Let me know if I called it?
- ¾ c Black Quinoa
- 1 ½ c Water
- 2 T each: dried basil, parsley, oregano (by all means experiment with fresh if you have it. Lucky!!)
- 3 T. Minced garlic
- ½ c Sundried Tomatoes in olive oil
- ½ c sliced Banana peppers
- ½ c sliced Black or Kalmata olives
- ½ c chopped red onion
- Bag of cut & cleaned kale (about 8 cups)
- 1 T Cholula hot sauce
- 3 T Olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 cup of ½ inch chunks of fresh Mozzarella OR Vegans: consider adding your favorite faux cheese or sauteed chunks of tofu or tempeh
Cook black quinoa in double the amount of water to quinoa, bringing water and quinoa to a boil and then simmer to cook for about 20 min. Little quinoa tails will shoot out when the stuff’s done. Add garlic, herbs, and salt and pepper. Put the bag of kale in a big bowl and dump the hot quinoa over the kale which will wilt it slightly. Mix. Then add the dried tomatoes, banana peppers, olives, onion, Cholula and olive oil. Toss; double check salt and pepper, and add mozzarella if you fancy some cheese.