These cupcakes scream “Be Mine.”
Show your valentine some love with these fudgy, chocolaty, and healthy (vegan and low sugar) Valentine’s Day Cupcakes. Shhh… there’s a surprise raspberry and chocolate filling, too!
- 1 c almond, coconut or rice milk
- 1 t vinegar
- 1 15 oz can sliced beets, drained and rinsed
- 2 T pineapple juice concentrate, frozen
- 1/4 c coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 c sugar
- 2 T stevia
- 2 T honey
- 1 c all-purpose flour (or try your favorite GF baking mix flour)
- 1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder (+ more for dusting)
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- frozen raspberries (not in syrup)
- chocolate chips
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat oven to 375° and lightly oil a dozen muffin pan or line it with baking cups.
- In a small bowl, stir vinegar into milk and allow to stand for a few minutes.
- In blender or food processor, blend beets, sweeteners and juice concentrate.
- Add the soured milk. Blend until smooth.
- Separately mix together dry ingredients (not raspberries or chocolate chips) and then either blend in blender or transfer everything to a mixing bowl. Blend until smooth.
- Spoon a tablespoon dollop into each muffin tin, then layer on about 4-5 frozen raspberries and a few chocolate chips in each.
Top each cupcake with another tablespoon of the cupcake batter. Smooth out the batter so that the berries and chocolate are covered. Bake for 20-23 minutes.
Allow to cool completely.
Dust with cocoa powder.
These are so fudgy and good, they don’t really need frosting. But if you’re into that, I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt to add a little yin-yang and some bright white buttercream frosting.
Now go whip up a batch and pair them with a cute Valentine’s Day note such as:
You take the “cake.” (Hee-hee!)
I love you “berry” much. (Hint-hint: surprise inside!)
Or (My personal favorite!) My heart “beets” for you.
OK, how about you?
Favorite Valentine’s Day gift ever?
Last time you had a beet… And liked it?