Truffles are a heavenly delicacy.
But, little chocolate bonbons are not something we need to be snacking on regularly, right?
Not to worry, here is a healthy and gingery alternative:
The ones rolled in cocoa really remind me of truffles even though there is no chocolate inside. The ones rolled in toasted coconut would be perfect for that poor soul who cannot have chocolate or just doesn’t like chocolate for whatever reason. Play around with the amount of ginger, but please go as heavy as you can because ginger is such a champion anti-inflammatory food.
You’re gonna need a food processor and these ingredients:
- 1 c almonds
- 1/2 c cashews
- 1 1/2 c pitted dates
- 2 – 4 inch cube of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped (your choice, make it as gingery as you like)
- 3 T coconut oil
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 1/2 scoops of protein powder (optional)
- Cocoa powder and / or toasted coconut for rolling
Here’s what you do:
- In a food processor, chop almonds and cashews into an even meal
- Leave the processor going and add dates about 1/2 cup at a time
- Process until all is well incorporated and uniform
- Add chopped ginger, oil, salt and vanilla
- Then add protein powder; I used 1 1/2 scoops of a vanilla brown rice protein powder sweetened with stevia
- Use your fingers or a melon-baller / cookie scoop form small balls and roll them in cocoa or toasted coconut
- Chill before serving. Just like regular truffles, these babies will become a little mushy if left at room temperature. They firm up nicely when chilled.
Try to make them last more than a couple of days. Enjoy!